The Earthquake Aftermath: Haiti

The story of the women of Haiti is one filled with heartbreak.  These women no longer have homes or support systems and face assaults on a regular basis.  Because of the horrific experiences these women have had to endure, Eve Ensler has chosen Haiti as the spotlight campaign for The Vagina Monologues ({2011}).

Please consider showing your support by attending the show in the M-Shop (February 10th @ 5:30p, February 11th @ 6 and 9p), purchasing a chocolate vagina (for sale in the Sloss House), or making an outright donation to our campaign.

10% of all funds will benefit the women of Haiti.  The remaining 90% will be donated to ACCESS (Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support) so they can continue to provide invaluable services to the survivors of domestic and sexual violence.

Here is more information about the services offered by ACCESS:

All services provided by ACCESS are free and confidential.  To learn more about their services or to set up an appointment with an advocate, call (515) 292-5378.

  • 24-hour Crisis Line: Listening, support, information and advocacy
  • Shelter: Safe, temporary housing for women and their children.
  • Children’s Programs: Counseling, advocacy, outings, and play groups.
  • Individual Counseling: Short-term counseling to adult survivors of child sexual abuse, sexual assault, or domestic violence or dating violence.
  • Support Groups: Support groups for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and children who have experienced or witnessed family violence.
  • Advocacy: Support, information and referrals for clients working with the legal, medical, or social service systems.
  • Community Education: Educational programming to schools, community groups, organizations and agencies.
  • Crisis Response Services
  • SART (Story County Sexual Assault Response Team): Crisis support and on-going advocacy.
  • Call 29-ALERT (292-5378) to speak with an ACCESS volunteer about your options.

Please contact the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center with any questions about the V-Day Campaign. 515-294-4154 or womenctr@iastate.edu

Advertisements

About Margaret Sloss Women's Center - ISU

The Margaret Sloss Women's Center promotes equity on the Iowa State University campus. Through a feminist lens, the center advocates for individuals and groups; provides support, referrals, community and programming; and maintains a safe space in the Sloss House.

Posted on February 3, 2011, in End Violence Now, Sexual Assault Awareness, The Vagina Monologues, V Day Campaign and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: